Pieces of Iowa’s Past, April 4, 2012

(2012) Pieces of Iowa’s Past, April 4, 2012. Legislative Services Agency (Legislative Service Bureau)

pdf
Preview
PDF
TBJMA013.PDF

File Size:1MB

Abstract

Pieces of Iowa’s Past, published by the Iowa State Capitol Tour Guides weekly during the legislative session, features historical facts about Iowa, the Capitol, and the early workings of state government. All historical publications are reproduced here with the actual spelling, punctuation, and grammar retained. April 4, 2012 THIS WEEK: Dating an Epoch from Photographs. BACKGROUND: Iowa State Capitol Grounds Extension Project The Capitol extension project began about 1913. The purpose of the project was to purchase land surrounding the Capitol in order to improve the beauty of the grounds and obtain enough land to build new structures and alleviate the overcrowding in the Capitol. Senate File 538 levied a tax to pay for the purchase of the property. Van Buren and Wapello counties filed a suit against the state because it was believed by many people that this statewide tax was simply providing Des Moines with a “new park.” This case was argued before the Iowa Supreme Court and the photographs that follow are a portion of the brief filed with the Court.

Item Type: Departmental Report
Keywords: State Capital, Tour Guide Staff, Tours, History of Iowa, State Government
Subjects: History and culture
History and culture > History of Iowa
State government
ID Code: 15404
Deposited By: Margaret Barr
Deposited On: 25 Nov 2013 17:49
Last Modified: 25 Nov 2013 17:49
URI: http://publications.iowa.gov/id/eprint/15404