Pieces of Iowa’s Past, March 28, 2012

(2012) Pieces of Iowa’s Past, March 28, 2012. Legislative Services Agency (Legislative Service Bureau)

pdf
Preview
PDF
TBJMA012.PDF

File Size:2MB

Abstract

Pieces of Iowa’s Past, published by the Iowa State Capitol Tour Guides weekly during the legislative session, features historical facts about Iowa, the Capitol, and the early workings of state government. All historical publications are reproduced here with the actual spelling, punctuation, and grammar retained. THIS WEEK: Electric Lighting in the Iowa State Capitol BACKGROUND: REPORT OF COMMITTEE ON LIGHTING THE BUILDING AND GROUNDS WITH ELECTRICITY—1882 The Capitol Commissioners submitted biennial reports throughout the 15 years it took to build the Capitol (1871-1886). Often there were committees formed to investigate a certain phase of the construction. The following is the report of the Committee on Lighting. Note: The Capitol Commissioners determined the gas lighting to be the best choice in the 1880s. Less than 20 years later, the process began to convert the Capitol from gas to electric lighting. There was a period where both types of lighting were being used in the Capitol. The photograph of the 1904 apple harvest shows both electric and gas fixtures. The turn of the 20th century photograph of the library also shows chandeliers utilizing both gas and electricity. The photograph of the single fixture in the library is a mystery. It shows a fixture utilizing both gas and electricity, but no other photographs of the library exist where this fixture appears. Perhaps it was a prototype and never used in the Capitol.

Item Type: Departmental Report
Keywords: State Capital, Tour Guide Staff, Tours, History of Iowa, State Government
Subjects: History and culture
History and culture > History of Iowa
State government
ID Code: 15403
Deposited By: Margaret Barr
Deposited On: 25 Nov 2013 17:36
Last Modified: 25 Nov 2013 17:36
URI: http://publications.iowa.gov/id/eprint/15403