Pieces of Iowa’s Past, January 25, 2012

(2012) Pieces of Iowa’s Past, January 25, 2012. Legislative Services Agency (Legislative Service Bureau)

pdf
Preview
PDF
TBJMA002.PDF

File Size:187kB

Abstract

Pieces of Iowa’s Past, published by the Iowa State Capitol Tour Guides weekly during the legislative session, features historical facts about Iowa, the Capitol, and the early workings of state government. All historical publications are reproduced here with the actual spelling, punctuation, and grammar retained. January 25, 2012 THIS WEEK: HOUSE RESOLUTIONS PRESENTED ON JANUARY 8, 1866 BACKGROUND: Background: The 11th General Assembly convened January 8, 1866, and adjourned April 3, 1866—an 86-day session. There were 146 members in the legislature, 48 senators and 98 representatives. Iowa’s Governor was William Milo Stone, and the 1860 census showed Iowa’s population at 482,699. Robert Finkbine represented House district 26. It was Finkbine’ s second term. He was 37 and listed his occupation as “builder.” Robert Finkbine went on to become the Superintendent of Construction for the present day Capitol. House district 26 represented Johnson County in 1866. In 1878, Marion County became the constituency for House district 26. The representative in House district 26 in 1878 was William Milo Stone, previous governor and resident of Knoxville

Item Type: Departmental Report
Keywords: State Capital, Tour Guide Staff, Tours, History of Iowa, State Government
Subjects: History and culture
History and culture > History of Iowa
State government
ID Code: 15392
Deposited By: Margaret Barr
Deposited On: 22 Nov 2013 19:58
Last Modified: 22 Nov 2013 19:58
URI: http://publications.iowa.gov/id/eprint/15392