Pieces of Iowa’s Past, May 4, 2011

(2011) Pieces of Iowa’s Past, May 4, 2011. Legislative Services Agency (Legislative Service Bureau)

pdf
Preview
PDF
TBJMA016.PDF

File Size:326kB

Abstract

Pieces of Iowa’s Past, published by the Iowa State Capitol Tour Guides weekly during the legislative session, features historical facts about Iowa, the Capitol, and the early workings of state government. All historical publications are reproduced here with the actual spelling, punctuation, and grammar retained. May 4, 2011 THIS WEEK: Destruction and Salvage of the Iowa Building BACKGROUND: Iowa was the first state to dedicate its building at the Louisiana Purchase Exposition. This it did on November 14, 1903, five and one-half months before the opening of the World’s Fair. The building was an extravagant structure, but its life was temporary. Destruction of the building began on December 1, 1905

Item Type: Departmental Report
Keywords: State Capital, Tour Guide Staff, Tours, History of Iowa, State Government
Subjects: History and culture
History and culture > History of Iowa
State government
ID Code: 15388
Deposited By: Margaret Barr
Deposited On: 22 Nov 2013 19:44
Last Modified: 22 Nov 2013 19:44
URI: http://publications.iowa.gov/id/eprint/15388