Fair Housing Guide, May 2011

(2011) Fair Housing Guide, May 2011. Civil Rights Commission


File Size:38kB


The Commission investigates and resolves complaints alleging discrimination within the state of Iowa for actions in housing as well as employment, public accommodations, credit, and education. Any person who believes he or she has been the victim of discrimination may file a complaint. The filing process begins by calling the Commission or by visiting with an attorney. Once the complaint has been filed with the Commission, the staff takes steps to investigate the complaint and to resolve the complaint through mediation. The complaints and the investigation are confidential but the complaint must be served upon the person or business against whom the complaint is filed. There is no fee for filing a complaint with the Commission. Under Iowa law, the complaint must be filed within 300 days of the last discriminatory act. Under the federal Fair Housing Act, a complaint must be filed with HUD within a year of the last discriminatory act. Another option for the person who believes they have been discriminated against is to file a petition in district court within two years of the last discriminatory act.

Item Type: Newsletter
Keywords: Fair housing, disabilites, laws
Subjects: Social issues and programs > Civil and human rights
Laws and regulations
Social issues and programs
Social issues and programs > Disabilities
ID Code: 13705
Deposited By: Margaret Barr
Deposited On: 13 Sep 2012 12:40
Last Modified: 13 Sep 2012 12:40
URI: http://publications.iowa.gov/id/eprint/13705

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item