|LAWS OF THE 2001 REGULAR SESSION
OF THE SEVENTY-NINTH
GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF IOWA
Section 1. Section 173.1, subsection 2, Code 2001, is amended to read as follows:
district directors from each
board district to be elected at a convention as provided in section 173.4.
Sec. 2. NEW SECTION. 173.1A DEFINITIONS.
As used in this section,1 unless the context otherwise requires:
1. "Board" means the Iowa state fair board as provided in section 173.1.
2. "Convention" means the convention held each year, to elect members of the state fair board and conduct other business of the board, as provided in section 173.2.
3. "District director" means a director of the Iowa state fair board who represents a state fair board district.
4. "State fair board district" or "district" means any of the six geographic regions established in section 173.4A.
Sec. 3. Section 173.4, subsection 2, Code 2001, is amended to read as follows:
2. A successor to a
district director shall be elected by a majority of convention
members from the same
board district as the district director, according to rules adopted by
the convention. A member who is also a board
district director shall not be entitled to vote for
a successor to a board
Sec. 4. NEW SECTION. 173.4A STATE FAIR BOARD DISTRICTS.
The state shall be divided into six geographic regions known as state fair board districts. The regions shall include all of the following:
1. The northwest state fair board district which shall contain all of the following counties: Buena Vista, Calhoun, Cherokee, Clay, Dickinson, Emmet, Ida, Lyon, O'Brien, Osceola, Palo Alto, Plymouth, Pocahontas, Sac, Sioux, and Woodbury.
2. The north central state fair board district which shall contain all of the following counties: Boone, Butler, Cerro Gordo, Floyd, Franklin, Grundy, Hamilton, Hancock, Hardin, Humboldt, Kossuth, Marshall, Mitchell, Story, Tama, Webster, Winnebago, Worth, and Wright.
3. The northeast state fair board district which shall contain all of the following counties: Allamakee, Benton, Black Hawk, Bremer, Buchanan, Chickasaw, Clayton, Delaware, Dubuque, Fayette, Howard, Jackson, Jones, Linn, and Winneshiek.
4. The southwest state fair board district which shall contain the following counties: Adair, Adams, Audubon, Carroll, Cass, Crawford, Fremont, Greene, Guthrie, Harrison, Mills, Monona, Montgomery, Page, Pottawattamie, Shelby, and Taylor.
5. The south central state fair board district which shall contain the following counties: Appanoose, Clarke, Dallas, Decatur, Jasper, Lucas, Madison, Mahaska, Marion, Monroe, Polk, Poweshiek, Ringgold, Union, Warren, and Wayne.
6. The southeast state fair board district which shall contain the following counties: Cedar, Clinton, Davis, Des Moines, Henry, Iowa, Jefferson, Johnson, Keokuk, Lee, Louisa, Muscatine, Scott, Van Buren, Wapello, and Washington.
Sec. 5. Section 173.5, subsection 2, Code 2001, is amended to read as follows:
2. Each year, the convention shall elect a successor to one of the two
district directors whose term expires following the adjournment of the convention, as provided in section 173.4.
Sec. 6. Section 173.6, unnumbered paragraph 2, Code 2001, is amended to read as follows:
A member of the board who is a
director , elected as provided in section
shall serve a term of two years. The term of a
district director shall begin following the adjournment of the convention at which the
district director was elected and shall
continue until a successor is elected and qualified as provided in this chapter.
Sec. 7. ELECTIONS OF DISTRICT DIRECTORS. Notwithstanding chapter 173, the state fair board shall retain all its powers and discharge its responsibilities as required in chapter 173 as it did immediately prior to the effective date of this Act. The board shall organize an election of all district directors representing state fair board districts and the convention held in 2001 as provided in section 173.2 shall elect twelve district directors to the board, as if all the directors were successors in accordance with chapter 173 as amended by this Act. The board may propose and the convention shall establish staggered terms of office for the elected directors as provided in section 173.5.
Approved April 16, 2001
1 The word "chapter" probably intended
Updated: 25-Oct-2001 01:16 PM